My life actually flourished during my highschool years. This was the time when we tried to break from our parents watchful eyes and nurturing guidance. We tried to prove to ourselves that we were indeed grown ups and we've came out of our shells so to speak.
I remember during the parties we've attended, we dressed up as hiphop or metal fanatics. This was the time when the term "hiptal" was coined, combination of hiphop and metal. Buggy jeans type and t shirts were in fashion, even for young ladies. Brick games, nintendos and family computers were the top-notched video and portable gamers then, goodbye for game & watch and we've never had any idea that PSP, Wii, Nintendo DSi, Sega are far-most techie and would definitely laugh at our gadgets then.
Life was much more simpler, well, definitely all people coming of age will realize this. We only have to concentrate on our studies, our parents will take care of our tuition and every subsistence until college. This has been the practice here in our country, parents taking care of their childrens' responsibility until they could provide for their own---even after college when youngsters are unlucky enough to land a job immediately after school.
I have had a very fulfilling high school life. I've learned to dance with people outrageously maarte and bitchy. I am like a loner at first, having snacks with my friend Lotis and other loner girls then (I used to attend all-girl school). Mind you, we were actually reading books while having our sandwiches, sounds geeky, right. But I'm definitely not a geek and weirdo (they usually come together, right?). I'm still getting used to the feeling of highschooler, probably.
Then I came to join this group they call themselves VIRSA girls (Vi, Ivy, Ressie, Sherry Ann and Anna). The first conversation I recall having was with Sherry Ann. She actually asked my score in English short test (with not so friendly tone), believe me if I say I created a fuss as I am toping my math exams and my classmates were alarmed that they branded me as competition. I just joined the class as I was with other school during my freshman year- my parents kinda pulled me out from that school as I have associated myself with-- well- indpendent, free-spirited, strong-willed students. We've met trouble in my first year in highschool, and I think my parents have decided to lock me up in Holy Spirit Academy, they just have to let me finish my first term with INCAT.
And as the cliche goes, the rest is history. I've came to know this very eccentric group and loved them as well. I felt a little alarmed that no week during our school days would end without misunderstanding amongst ourselves. But still our barkada and friendship stood those tests.
I could say I am a people person. I do have a lot of friends, aside from my barkada. I have my group of church-goer friends, we meet after school and proceed to church just beside our school buidling; I have my movie buddy, Lotis, who come to our house anytime, anyday and we would end up watching movie (well, we have a weekly passes to the moviehouse, thanks to my father's friend- the mayor's brother, who lavishly provided us movie passes) ; and I occasionally team up with other group as well. Some would even advise me to totally ditch my barkada, they think I joined the group that would influence me badly. Nonono... not that I believe them as bad...but me being influenced? Duh...I have my encephalon intact.
Of course me and my barkada had a fair share of troubles. Once when one of my friend's parents were away, we actually sat down for a beer--grande ha. That's before we parted ways for college. What's a girl have to do but to join, I am more than willing to try new things anyway.
Much as we wanted our group to be together even after college, we could not stop the inevitable. Sherry Ann & Ivy came here in Manila and have to move, me and Visitacion first enrolled in a State U and Anna studied in Divine Word in Laoag.
8.21.2009
The Beginning - High School Years
Posted by
Racen
at
2:09 AM
Labels: High School
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment